Sunday, November 1, 2020

The real monsters are the scariest.


I picked up this book after hearing about it on NPR a few years ago and finally read it yesterday. It was a great October read for a day when I wanted to be out hiking but I managed to hurt my leg last week and can't do anything like that... so I sat in the recliner with my cats and read this book. 

This is a graphic novel the size of a phone book (remember those?) that starts with Karen, a 12-year-old horror enthusiast living in the 1960s telling you that it's her sketchbook. Through her detailed, brilliant drawings, she tell us the story of her life so far, as well as that of the woman upstairs. Her upstairs neighbor is an elderly Jewish woman living with her husband. They are holocaust survivors and Karen only vaguely understands what that means at the outset of the novel. Early in the book, Mrs. Silverberg is shot, and Karen resolves to solve her murder when the police have ruled it a suicide. 

Karen's life serves as a framing story to Anka Silverberg's, whose voice we hear on some cassette tapes Karen gets from Mr. Silverberg. Karen is also dealing with her mother's terminal illness, her own questions about her sexuality and self-image, and her older brother, who is keeping some big secrets. When Karen draws herself into scenes, she depicts herself as a young werewolf. 

This book was heavy and not for children, despite Karen's age and its graphic novel format. We learn about the horrors of Nazi Germany (especially for women and children) and we see a lot of sex. 

There is a volume two of this story, which I feel is essential now because there are a lot of loose ends to be tied up. I just learned that the publication date for that has been pushed back more than once, so I'm not sure when I'll get to read it! If you're a fan of graphic novels and coming-of-age books, give this one a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Mrs. Darcy 2020

Happy New Year! Every year I take on these reading challenges and really bite off more than I can chew, if I'm being completely honest. ...