Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Book Store Visit: Breakwater Books




I have a couple reviews in the pipeline but I wanted to share this first. :)

Yesterday at lunch I was perusing my Instagram (bookworm12378, in case you want to see what books I'm reading and how much I love my cats!) when I saw that Amy Bloom would be appearing at Breakwater Books in Guilford, CT. Amy Bloom is a Connecticut author whose latest book, White Houses, is now available in paperback. I love a good author appearance! It was such a gorgeous day that I went for a walk in Branford at a Land Trust property and then headed over to Breakwater.

Amy Bloom is a wonderful, engaging speaker. Something she said that I've never heard before was that she hates writing sex scenes so much that she actually types them with her eyes closed. She also read some selections from her book, which gives you some insight into Eleanor Roosevelt's relationship with Lorena Hickok, or "Hick," as Eleanor called her. I can't wait to read it. :) The woman next to me at the reading said that she's read everything Amy Bloom has written and she thinks this is her best book to date. High praise for sure.

Breakwater Books is located in the historic section of Guilford, CT. The New England Trail runs past it, and it's walking distance to the Long Island Sound. It faces the historic green and has a spot among a chocolate shop, an Italian restaurant, a pristine village market, and a coffee shop. It also has a Little Free Library right outside it. The store owner was eager to help me find a couple of books for Christmas gifts for family... and I may have picked up one for myself too. ;) Shhh...

A walk around Guilford's historic downtown is a great way to spend a fall afternoon. Get a coffee at Cilantro, get some chocolate at The Village Chocolatier, get a sandwich at The Marketplace, window shop in the gift shops and boutiques, and then blow your budget at the book store. That may or may not be what I did.

I found a book that I'd heard discussed on Roxanne Cody's podcast Just the Right Book (and owner of RJ Julia in Madison) that I thought my younger sister would love... but I wanted it too. I texted my sister and asked if she cared if I read it first and she said not at all. Which makes me wonder... how would you all feel if someone bought you a book as a gift but read it first? I've heard strong opinions on both sides! Personally, I wouldn't care. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Mrs. Darcy 2020

Happy New Year! Every year I take on these reading challenges and really bite off more than I can chew, if I'm being completely honest. ...